Monday, October 24, 2011

Fall in the Southwest...

So, I decided to take a short trip to Santa Fe, NM., to enjoy some of the hiking and go to Trader Joe's.

On sunday morning, I went for a hike in the Pecos Wilderness about 15 miles outside of Santa Fe proper, beginning at the Santa Fe Ski Basin. The drive from town was beautiful, adobe houses everywhere, red sand, and desert plants. As you exit one ecosystem, you enter a forested environment, with great stands of pine and golden aspen.
I began my hike at the Windsor Trailhead, which was surprisingly deserted for a Sunday, though I'm used to the crowds in Colorado.
The trail begins with a moderately steep switchback section, after hiking for about 10 mins, it flattens out, and meanders to the boundary of the Pecos Wilderness.

The trail was well shaded, and  the quality of light would change as you passed through golden aspen groves, the smell of decaying leaves sweetening the air. The trail veers off to the right, with may tributaries, it's rather difficult to determine which trail to follow. I decided to take the trail following the brook, as it lead to my destination. 





 The winding trail followed the book through the woods, steeply, next to large rock walls with fields of talus.


The lake was surrounded by rock walls, and tall conifers- the perfect alpine lake.


I met a nice couple at the top, who were nice enough to take a photo for me. 


The hike was a cathartic reminder of why I love the mountains- golden aspen, sunshine, tall trees, and beautiful wilderness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment