Saturday, November 12, 2011

Doing things in Du-rango!

Five days after I returned from New England, my brother came out to visit. We planned a three day trip to Durango, arriving on Monday night, and leaving early Wednesday morning to drive back and have dinner with a friend.

Though I usually do not show photos from the drive, they are so spectacular that this post will include some of them. The drive to Durango took about 6-7 hours from Denver, and we passed through some of the most lovely scenery! Snowcapped ranges,  unusual rock formations, and a cascading waterfall!


Driving through Fairplay and South Park County.
Chaffee County, Co.-- more 14ers than any other county in Colorado.

Treasure Falls-- Over the summit of Wolf Creek Pass.
The next morning, after a crazy halloween evening, we drove up the Colorado Trail a ways, for a lovely view of the peaks.
View into the Las Animas valley
Peaks to the west!
View towards Durango.

Later we took a hike up an area called "the hog back", which is an interesting place geologically speaking, I found a small fern fossil near the top! The trail began in a wooded area, with many desiccated streams, and the distinct clink of mountain bike gears. The first section of the trail was not exceedingly steep, however once on the ridge you could fall for hundreds of feet!
Half way up the ridge. 
My feet, and the drop!

The trail was very dry, and towards the top quite difficult to maneuver. I felt my feet slipping, and slid a few feet with nothing to grab, luckily I was able to dig my toes into the dust! Once we reached the terminus, the view was incredible!


We took a photo for our parents, as this was the first time since I was 9 and he was 7, that we were together in Durango!





After the hogback, we walked up Horse Gulch, a lovely area surrounded by beautiful rock formations, and a large meadow with two ridges jutting from the far-side.




The weather was gorgeous, and I found Durango to be one of the coolest places I've ever had the pleasure of spending time! If i were offered a job there tomorrow, I would be out of the city so fast, even if it meant living in my tent for a few weeks :).

It was awesome to spend some time with my brother, despite the fact I was unable to challenge myself in the backcountry, however next time...I'll be climbing some larger peaks!

No comments:

Post a Comment