Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Grizzled at Grizzly Gulch

I was supposed to climb Argentine Peak, however the group I went hiking/snowshoeing with changed the destination halfway there to Grizzly Gulch.  I was rather disappointed, however getting blown off of a ridge by high winds didn't suit me either.

From the cars, we hiked up a steep unplowed road to the trailhead, where we strapped on our snowshoes and slogged on. The trail was strewn with disintegrating cabins, abandoned mine shafts, and awkward stream crossings.

We veered off trail about two miles from the cars onto a heavily wooded hillside, that dipped down into a brook. Now this was the first time that I navigated a stream crossing on snowshoes, it was a swift stream, and stepping onto rocks with big "yeti crampons" on my feet was awkward! There was a few times throughout the day that I feared that I'd end up in the water, I'm not the most graceful of women. 
We found the trail and continued through a few clearings, the wind was howling through the trees, kicking up snow and nearly obscuring the scenery. 
On the left was Kelso Mountain, and Torrey's Peak, to the right was either Bard or Baker Mountains, and straight ahead Grizzly Peak loomed in the distance, a dark monolith. 
Kelso Mountain and Torrey's Peak

To the Right.

Grizzly Peak.
On the way up the trail, I was having my tushy handed to me by an 84 year old gentleman, on the way down, I was in the front of the pack. It really hit me that I need to be training WAY harder than I have been in order to become a strong mountaineer. 

Snowshoeing is great training, I find it to be far better exercise than hiking-- if I had been hiking this trail I wouldn't have been so tired.

I was rather disappointed that we didn't climb Argentine Peak, however I was able to see a different side of Grizzly Peak, and had a good introduction to winter!



No comments:

Post a Comment