Saturday, November 26, 2011

Solving the Quandary...Peak-- My Thanksgiving at 14,264 ft.

Thanksgiving is a time spent with family and friends, turkey, homemade pies, especially pumpkin...-- but not this year, not for me. My family lives back in New England, and my family out here didn't invite me to thanksgiving this year...so I created my own holiday! I call it "Peaks-giving",  there is a
"feast" and a "gathering. " The "feast" consisted of a turkey sandwich, and two Spiced Pumpkin Pie Clif Bars. The "gathering", four other individuals from the Colorado Mountain Club. The peak, Quandary Peak...the very same peak I attempted in June and was unable to complete.
My "Gathering".

We selected the East Ridge route which is around 6.5 miles round trip with 3400 ft. of elevation gain. After last weekend's failed summit attempt on Audubon I had decided that this week would be different, even if there were 5 ft of snow, I would push myself harder to make the summit. I took it as a personal challenge... however once we arrived at the trailhead I was a bit disappointed...there was barely any snow, maybe one snowfield...on the way down.

Once above tree line the wind began to blow, the sun was high in the sky by the time we began to hike up the second shoulder of the ridge.
To the right.

To the left.

Since the last time I attempted to climb this peak, I've hike two other 14ers, and spent much of my time in the back country.  Before I was dragging, and stopping every 10th of a mile to breath, now I was able to bound up sections of the ridge. Every time I go on one of my adventures, I come back incredibly sore, but much stronger for my next trip.

This time, I summited Quandary Peak at 14,264ft, and was alone on the summit. I've never been on a summit without at least 5-10 other hiking parties.






Standing on the Summit of Quandary Peak, 14,264.


We sat down and ate our "feast" together, amongst the radiant peaks of the Rocky Mountains, only the sound of the wind and ourselves. The hike down took far less time than the hike up, however at one point we lost the trail and slogged through one of the snow fields. After a day of warm-ish weather, the snow was loose, and I post-holed above my knee down the slope. Aside from the post-holing, the rest of the hike was uneventful.

Despite the lack of traditional thanksgiving festivities, it was a truly fantastic way to spend my holiday, on the side of a Peak.


No comments:

Post a Comment