Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sky Pond...almost.

I am in the process of becoming a Trip Leader for the Colorado Mountain Club, and I am required to lead two  Leader in Training(LIT) hikes with another leader. I chose my destination, Sky Pond, and determined the route to get there. It isn't a requirement for me to scout the location prior to leading the trip, however I felt the need to scout the trail, made me feel safer leading others up there. 

I decided that I would take a trip up there solo, a week prior to the scheduled trip-- I managed to coerce one of the folk from my ice climbing school to come along for the fun! 

We met in Boulder at 6 AM hindered by a great lack of caffeine in our systems, and drove to Rocky Mountain National Park's Glacier Gorge Trailhead. We began hiking around 7:30, making a number of adjustment stops, before moving comfortably. 


View from the trail looking toward some distant peaks

The weather was cool, the sun still hidden behind the incredible monoliths of the Rocky Mountains, and the cold wind consistently blowing. Snowshoes were unnecessary for the first few miles of the trip, the trails were well packed down, even icy in some spots.

View from the trail heading towards the Loch Vale.
In many spots, I could only stand and stare in wonderment at the scenery, I've not been able to spend a lot of my time hiking up in the park, however I certainly will spend more of my time there now!

After the rather large open space, we receded back into the trees, and climbed a gaping snow covered gash of a canyon, up the Loch Vale.

View up the gash.

Back where we had come from.
Once we emerged from the woods, the scenery was overwhelming, I had never seen something so wild, and gorgeous. We sat on a log and ate lunch, taking in the sights, then continued across the lake.

Loch Vale with Taylor glacier to the left.
We had been playing tag all day with another group of folks who were ahead of us, enjoying the view at Timberline Falls. I made an attempt to urge my friend to scramble the rocks/ice with me, however after closer examination, I would really need Crampons/ Tools to climb the icy snow to the right. We made the decision to have a snack, then descend before the sun did...

Timberline Falls
It took 1/2 the time to descend the trail, as it had taken us to climb, and on the way up I had pulled a butt muscle :\.

Where we had hike up from.
We arrived back at the car around 3:30 ish and made way for Boulder, and Southern Sun Pub & Brewing.

Though we hadn't made it all the way up to Sky Pond, I feel more confident about leading a trip in that area! I am quite excited to fully complete this trip, on Feb. 5th! I will update, then!

No comments:

Post a Comment